Son of man, can these bones live?

You're going to think I'm completely arrogant when you read this.  Obviously by now, I am deeply concerned with what you think of me.

(That sounded cavalier, but really, I wish I could care a little less.)

But here's my take on things:
There are entire sections of the Bible that did not even exist before I discovered them.

No, really.

Sometimes, it's something completely soothing, like how good and perfect He is in the face of all that I am not.  Sometimes it's something bold, like a declaration of His capability.  Sometimes, it is something I desperately need, like a promise of what He is going to do.  Sometimes, it is a reminder, like an alarm clock He sets off in my heart.  Sometimes, it's something that I've read a thousand times before, but He grants me fresh eyes to see.

Bits and pieces of Words that cut away the parts of me that don't belong to Him. 

Like today.

Like today when scripture appeared out of thin air.  Just a breath of God on my spirit, bringing the Word to life within me.

"Whom have I in heaven but You?  And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

A puff of words that leave me undone.

Whom have I in heaven?  No one but You.  And earth?  Earth has nothing I desire but You.

Oh, let that be a Truth that becomes a testimony... a prayer that becomes a proclamation.  Oh, work that out within me in Your perfect time. 

God, You bring me back to the starting line again and again and again.  You know my heart.  You know the Word You set before me for my entire life.  You know me to the depth of my motivations and to the length of my eyes from my television screen.  You know when my words ring hollow in Your ears and when they are a fragrant offering before You.  You know me better than I know me.  You know what I want... and You know what I want to want.  You know where I am, and You know where You want to take me.  I trust the work of Your hands... on earth as it is in Heaven.  Would You work Your Word through my heart and through my failing flesh?  Would You be my strength and my portion?  Would You burn away what's not of You and leave behind I AM?  Would You be my One desire?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

To unlearn a lifetime...

I'd rather speak honestly...