These ropes that bind...



“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” –Romans 7:15


Paul, you were so wise.


Why, oh why, Father, do I have to write about the ugly things?  Lord, you know my heart.  You know every inch… every corner.  Why this part? 
Because intimacy starts with transparency.

(For the record, I didn’t like that answer.)
You may as well know now that I am not perfect.  (It will be a lot easier to carry on reading if you pick your chin up off the floor.)


Why do I do the thing that I hate?  Why, when the Word makes it clear that I am not to do that thing, am I so drawn toward it? 
Why do I stand in a circle and let my lips be used for something that, not only fails to bring God glory, but actually scores a point for the other team?

Why do I have so much of a desire to be included that I bend? 

At what point does that choice come... that deliberate choice... to stop listening to You... to stop abiding in You?

After all, He made it pretty clear that duality of speech is an indication of a heart problem.

He also made it pretty clear that I don't have to succumb to that temptation.  In fact, I have a weapon against it.  And if I'm walking in His truth... I have nothing to fear.

I am included in something far greater.

So the point of deliberate choice is right here.  I choose to be of greater value to the Kingdom than I am to my own selfish heart.  

I choose to shut my mouth of the sin that breaks Your heart.

Relax.  I'm not taking a vow of silence.  Or... sorry to disappoint, as the case may be.


No, not a vow of silence.  A vow of prayer.  

True fasting.  That heart-cutting term jumped off the pages of Isaiah- a man who claimed to have unclean lips himself. 

“Is this not the fast which I choose,
To loosen the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the bands of the yoke,
And to let the oppressed go free
And break every yoke?" (58:6)

Beginning Wednesday (October 10) at 8 AM, I will be engaging the Lord in prayer on behalf of my friends working on the Micah 6:8 Project through Matthew 25 Ministries and the children in Ghana who desperately need the Hope of Jesus.  You can read more about the Prayer 5K and how you can make a difference by following the link.

Would you join us on our knees for what is on God's heart?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

To unlearn a lifetime...

I'd rather speak honestly...